The Maltings and Maltings Cottage
The Maltings and Maltings Cottage (now Cherry Tree Cottage) on The Green were once part of the same farmhouse and maltings complex as the Inn on the Green.
Before the 1918 Estate Sale
In 1863 this was part of the farm/maltings complex with cottages bought by James Thorpe from Edward Chivers Bower of Tickhill Castle York for ?11,500. In the 1918 Estate Sale it became:
Lot 6 Farm (the core of Manor Dairy Farm and the farmhouse which eventually became the Inn on the Green pub) the Maltings and Maltings Cottage
Lot 58 (the Cotage that is now Manor Dairy Farmhouse)
- Lot 43 (the Laurels) and
- Lots 38 - 41 (cottages around the Green, now demolished).
In 1863 The Malt kiln and offices had an attached granary, stables, harness and box attached. There was a chamber and granary over the Maltings entrance. The main house, had 2 back kitchens, yard and gig house and the end part in the SE corner had a garden (now The Laurels).
In 1861 the Farmer was John Fryer. Census reveals 9 people (4 family members and 5 sevants or farm workers) living in the farm, with 6 more living in the Laurels and with John Birkett living the cottage beyond the Maltings(now part of Cherry Tree Cottage).
By 1871 the Weightmans were the farmers in the main house, with a household of 17 (13 family members and 4 servants) on census night, The Stanfields had moved into the Laurels, and the Birkets and son William were still in the cottage.
In 1881 George Ross aged 36 was the farmer in the main house with a household of 6 family members and 2 servants. The Stansfields occupied the Laurels and John Birket the cottage.
After The 1918 Estate Sale
By 1918 the Estate Sale Catalogue reveals that the Ross?s (father and son George A Ross) are running both this farm and the adjacent compact farm, Home Farm. They bought Home Farm, some land and the Lot 36 cottage in the sale whilst Lot 6 went to a newcomer to the village.
Lot 5 A most Desirable Compact Farm: Home Farm of 136a 0r 32p (West of Drove Lane) Tenants associated with it Mr G and Mr GA Ross - sold to Mr GA Ross, Coddington for £6,100.
Lot 6 - A compact Farm of 151a 1r 20p (Village Farm, the nucleus of Manor Dairy Farm). Tenants associated with it Mr G and Mr GA Ross - sold to Mr (J) Hollingworth for £3,000.
In the Estate Sale Catalogue the Maltings was said to be used as a barn. The farm buildings consisted of 2-bay trap shed, calf place and piggeries, malt kiln now used as a barn, with loft over, loose box and stall, mixing house and calf house loft running over these and the archway leading from the street. There was a walled in kitchen garden and lawn.
The Mr GA Ross was the tenant of the Cottage, which contained living room, kitchen, 2 bedrooms wash house and coal house. Miss Stansfield bought her house "The Laurels".
This may not have been the end of malting on the premises. Alan Geeson, who later farmed Home Farm remembers that: -The malt kiln was in use in the 1920s and my father used to talk of malt being delivered by horse and cart into the Vale of Belvoir, quite a trip at 3-4 miles/hr.
Lot 6 became Manor Dairy Farm. In 1948 the Hollingworth's retained Maltings Cottage but sold the original farmhouse, and moved across the road to a cottage which they turned into the current house Manor Dairy Farmhouse. Meanwhile WAC Anderson turned the farmhouse into an exclusive social club - "The Dice House Country Club". The licence was changed from club to public house in the 1970's.
James Hollingworth lived in Maltings Cottage while his son Fred's family occupied the new farmhouse. After James died in 1964 Maltings Cottage was let to Eva Doris Carter. After the Hollingworth's retired from farming they kept the farmhouse but sold the land, Maltings Cottage and the remaining stockyard (which was later converted to housing).
Maltings cottage has large amount of rebuilt new brickwork. The Maltings itself has been empty since at least the late 1980s and during the 1990s some of the frontage collapsed. It has been rebuilt and converted to a dwelling.