The Plough Inn

 

 

 

They have been serving pints to villagers at the Plough for almost 200 years.

Our earliest current reference to the Plough is from January 25th 1820, when a house was auctioned, at the house of Mr Leeson Slight, at the sign of the Plough, in Coddington. We do not know when the Plough was built or when Mr Slight first became a publican.

The Ingrams

The Ingram family, first Thomas and then his widow Mary kept this pub throughout the period between 1869 and 1912.

They had come from Caunton, and baptised their sons Fred in 1868, Roland Scott in 1872 and John Thomas in 1873 in Coddington Church. Vernon's book about The Victorian School records that both Roland and John gained refunds for passing 3 subjects at school during the period 1873-1877 whilst Fred gained a good attendance award during the period 1878 to 1882.  In 1900 Fred was described as a cottager and at the time of the 1918 Estate Sale was a tenant of one of the cottages on Main St (Lot 49 and since demolished). In 1935 John Ingram applied to the Duke of Newcastle to convert property (a house orchard and garden) from copyhold status. Between 1938 and 1950 John was listed as living at "Fairfield". By 1957 Florence E Ingram was the only Ingram listed - she was living at 68 Main St, where Fred had been living 40 years earlier (see lot 49 on map below).

Road realignment

 

This building survived major road realignment when the (old) A17 was driven across Newark road and through the centre of the village from Beacon Hill. The road passed between The Plough (in blue) and 39 Main Street (shown red) - the buildings between were demolished sometime between 1919 and 1946.

 

Enlarged plan from 1918 Estate Sale Catalogue     

 

In the 1930s and 1940s Arthur Henton and his wife Clara kept the Plough. Arthur died in 1945 aged 54, and his wife Clara in 1962. In 1957 there were two Hentons: Charles Henton on Balderton Lane and Montague Henton at 22 Main St.

 

We have records of Hentons in the village from the 1840s; two Henton households appear on the small surviving part we have of Rev Frederick Taverner's 1863 village sketchmap. In 1883 Emily Henton was appointed as sewing mistress when Joseph Chauntry Hunt became headmaster - she married Samuel Parkes shortly afterwards and they later kept the Red Lion pub. Two Hentons - Alfred and John, both living on the Green - were amongst villages killed in WWI.

List of landlords of the Plough

1820

Leeson Slight keeps The Plough. At the baptism of his children from 1816 - 1825 he is described in the parish register as a publican. An 1830 directory describes him as a victualer.

1832:

Directory doesn?t identify pub names. 3 victualers listed: Oliver Barfoot, James Marshall and William Blackburn (probably the Red Lion). John Hudson was also described in the parish records as a publican at the baptism of his child.

1841 Census

John Portass and his wife Mary (both 55)

(Only 2 publicans listed, John Portass probably at the Plough, and William Blackburn probably the Red Lion)

1844

Peter Smalley

1848 / 50 / 53:

John Birkett

1860/64

Fowler Tansley

1861 Census

Fowler Tansley (60, born Oundle, Northants)

Elizabeth Tansley (wife, 49, born Sutton-on-Trent, Lincs)

George Kelham (lodger 39, sawyer, born Basington, Notts)

John Adcock (lodger 28, sawyer, born Old Basford, Notts)

1869

Thomas Ingram

1871 Census

Thomas Ingram (30, born Harbury, Warwicks.)

Mary Ingram (wife 31 born Caunton Notts.)

George Ingram (son, 12, born Caunton)

Frederick Ingram (son, 3, born Coddington)

1881 Census

Mary Ingram (widow 44 born Eddingley Notts.)

Frederick Ingram (son, 12, born Coddington)

Rowland Ingram (son, 9, scholar, born Coddington)

John T Ingram (son, 8, scholar, born Coddington)

1879 / 81 / 85 / 92 / 94 / 97-8 /

1900 / 12

Mrs Mary Ingram at the Plough

1916 / 23:

Benjamin Green at the Plough

1928:

Charles F Sellers at the Plough

1932 / 36 / 38 / 41 / 42:

Arthur Henton at the Plough

1950

William Pethig at the Plough

1957 / 61

Directory just states: Plough Inn

 

Can you help us to list the names of more recent tenants or bar staff?