The house was built prior to the 1888 OS map, it does not appear to be on the Rev Frederick Taverner's village sketchmap of about 1857.
We presume the Thorpe's built the house (since they sold it in 1918) and that the Brownlow's were the original tenants but have no firm evidence.
There were no Brownlows in the village for the 1861 or 1871 census but John and Christina (or Christiana) Brownlow and family of 6 were in the village for the 1881 census, presumably in this house, with both John and eldest listed son Charles being Blacksmiths. John was born in Norwell and Christina in Muskham. According to the census Charles was born in Ordsall (near Retford) in 1861, then 3 children born in Newark (up to 1870) then the last 2 in Coddington (from 1874). Therefore it seems likely that they moved to the new house when built c. 1870-1874. The census does not identify the houses, only the road/area.
The house was Lot 37 in the 1918 sale:
"A substantial Modern Dwelling House situate on the north side of the Main Street in Coddington Village, together with Blacksmiths' shop farm premises and garden thereto. Tenant - Mr John Brownlow.
The house is brick and tiled and contains - Sitting Room, Living Room, Three bedrooms, and Store Room, Kitchen, Pantry and Dairy. Blacksmith's Shop and Shoeing Shed, Cow House for three, Chaff House, Pigsty."
It was bought by George Henry Hough for £300 - along with 2 other lots.The Hough family stayed at Brownlow's House until selling it to the Daybell/Handbury families in 1967 who in turn sold it to us in 1989. At that time post arrived simply addressed to Eva Handbury or to Brownlow's House or The Cottage - which was the name on the sales particulars. Since there was at least one more The Cottage in the village we adopted the Brownlow's name, although rather a liability for reading to people!
The main house is largely unaltered, although recently a bay window in-keeping with the porch has been added to the gable end.
The decorative wooden front porch has had to be heavily restored - a labour of love involving taking it totally to pieces prior to rebuilding.
Mary Lukehurst nee Hough, (lives at "Ardbrecknish" on Balderton Lane) granddaughter of George Henry, told us that it was created from the conservatory at Coddington Hall. Her father and grandfather were the contractors who demolished it and recycled the timber. It was also used to form the bay windows of the pair of semi-detached houses aljost opposite the current post office. Until c. 2001 the left hand house ("Ardfern") bay window was extant and there is still a very small amount of the dogtooth decorative horizontal wooden band visible at the junction of the two houses.
Mary Lukehurst was brought up in one of the semis, her father was Harry Hough and his brother Herbert Edwin (known as Ted) lived next door. The land on which they were built was another of the lots which GH Hough bought in 1918. (we have the documentation)
(Note: Harry Hough worked for the Thorpes, Col. Thorpe owned a large house at Ardbrecknish in Argyll, confirmed by comments in the school log)
There are two brick and pantile outbuildings abutting each other with a valley gutter between - they were in poor condition when we bought the property, the previous owners had considered demolishing them. The building nearest the house has a blacksmith's forge which we have restored, adding a new canopy. The other building had evidence of tethering facilities for animals, the floor is mainly brick with a gully to cope with animal housing. It had the remains of a corrugated iron roof, the other being clay pantiles. The south slope of the forge has the decent reused pantiles on it along with original glass pantiles, the other slopes being difficult to see anyway now have reused concrete pantiles and there is a skylight recycled from being the bathroom skylight.
The two buildings were not constructed at once nor of a piece since there are obviously several phases involved, we tend to think they are older than the house. The roof trusses in the second building are obviously reused - they do not fit at all well! In the forge one of the trusses has been repaired by us and the other two are newly constructed of reused timber. Many of the smaller roof timbers have been similarly renewed.
In the garden there are the foundations of another small brick building but probably not of early construction, the bricks being laid in stretcher bond.
There were also signs of a path which we were told by Mrs Lukehurst was that of the chip shop.
The access to the plot was along the gable of the house but we moved it to facilitate access to the outbuildings. The plot was originally much deeper but less wide, the Daybell/Handbury family owned the terrace next door at one point, some of the land came into this plot and that at the back was sold off to Mr Beckett the builder.