The Sign Images and the Time Capsule
The story of the Village Sign is told on another webpage - this page tells about the images shown on it and the contents of the time capsule at its base.
Symbols on the Village Sign
Constance Penswick-Smith (1878-1938)
Constance Penswick Smith came to Coddington at the age of 12, when her father the Reverend Charles Penswick Smith was appointed Vicar of All Saints' Church Coddington.
In 1913 she began to devote her life to re-establishing the true Christian celebration of Mothering Sunday in a campaign, which was to last for 25 years.
Constance Penswick Smith died in 1938, at the age of 60 and was buried at Coddington next to her father. (More information can be found in CCN March 2007 edition, in an article written by Michael Bache for Nottingham Evening Post.)
The windmill, now a private house, without cap or sails, has a tarred brick tower and is about 5 minutes walk beyond the Moat on Balderton Lane. There have been earlier windmills in the Coddington area, including a timber windmill, which was insured in 1789 by Valentine Farmorice. In 1818, John Else owned a newly built Smock Mill with brick base. William Else owned a post mill on a separate site. A number of millers came and went until 1831, when William Lee is recorded as the first of a Coddington milling dynasty.
The Lee family worked/owned the mill for the remainder of its life. In 1859, a Tower Mill replaced the mill. They installed a 10 horsepower steam engine in 1862, and an oil-engine between 1932 and 1936. The mill was used until 1944 but was damaged in WWII. The property was sold in 1947 and was listed in 1969. Described as derelict in 1974, the tower has been restored since 1984 and converted into a private house.
The Lancaster Bomber
Winthorpe aerodrome was situated between the villages of Winthorpe and Coddington. It was built in the late 30's as a satellite station for Swinderby and opened officially in September 1940. Polish bomber squadrons initially used the aerodrome for training. On the 18th July 1941 the Polish squadrons moved to Hemswell, and eventually No 455 Squadron of Coastal Command arrived with Handley Page Hampden (twin engined) bombers. In 1942 an intense building programme took place including the construction of hard runways designed to accommodate heavy bombers. On the 1st of January 1943 No 1661 H.C.U. (Heavy Conversion Unit) used the airfield for training and 10 Lancaster Bombers were used. On the 16th January 1943, Lancaster bombers from Winthorpe took part in "Operation Target Berlin".
The village no longer has any millers, blacksmiths, or people mending or hiring agricultural equipment, however we do have an equestrian centre in the village.
Wild Life and The Rookery
The Rookery is found in the mature trees around "The Old Parsonage" Newark Road.
Represented by a fox and a badger; the village has numerous foxes and a badger sett. Did the fox represent local fox hunting?
More wildlife is to be seen on Barry King's sign for Page's Wood - an area owned by the Parish Council on Balderton Lane that was once the orchard/garden of a vanished house.
The contents of the time capsule: