This section inculdes information about village people's occupations and means of livelihood. The information comes from many sources, but often from studying local trade directories and census returns. Before the first world war the village's economy was largely grounded in agriculture - Kelly's 1912 directory states:
"The soil is clayey to the west and gravelly to the east; subsoil blue lias stone, marl and gravel. The crops grown are chiefly cereals and roots. The area is 1,970a; rateable value £2,647; the population in 1901 was 477, and is largely engaged in malting during the winter months."
In 1936 entry was almost identical to the extract above - the 1931 population was 463. In 1938 we see the first longer listing of inhabitants, which we see in Kelly's 1950, 1957 and 1961 directories - the last we have.
Before the second world war Coddington life was still revolving around Newark, a quiet market town, just 2-3 miles distant. A road had been driven across the village in the 1930s, but the affect on the village of the construction of the A1, which opened in 1964, was much greater. In the latter half of the 20thC the village farms were consolidated and we became largely a dormitory village. The electrification of the East Coast line even made daily commuting between Newark and London feasible.
Coddington History Group has access to information about the village in a number of trade directories, published between 1832 and 1961. Newark Library's Local Sudies Section keeps a large number of Nottinghamshire trade directories.